Saturday, March 6, 2010

Sergei Rachmaninov Elegie op3 No1 Andrei Gavrilov piano.

“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.”
SERGEI RACHMANINOFF

In my mind.....
So Sergei sits down at 19 years of age in 1892 and writes
his Piano Concerto No. 1 in F-sharp minor, Op. 1.
The for Opus 2 he writes the Prélude et Danse orientale.
Then, he figures hey there's nothin' to this kind of work.
I think I'll write five pieces, call it oh I don't know..
Morceaux de Fantaisie, Op.3 (The French titles will really
fool them). The first piece which I'll
call Élégie (or its Russian equivalent) is certain to become
a real obsession for some old Norwegian down the line.

Again in my mind....
Obsessions? Oh I've had a few.
I would like to have had this piece played
at my Baptism, my birthday, my wedding,
the birth of my firstborn etc. etc.
Oh and go ahead and play it at my funeral too.
Since it is after all an elegy which is a ...
1. Mournful, melancholy, or plaintive poem, esp.
a funeral song or a lament for the dead.
2.A poem written in elegiac meter.
3. A sad or mournful musical composition.
and one that you don't often hear....
4. Music that makes an old Norwegian happy.